First impressions are lasting impressions! We’ve all heard the expression and it is very true when it comes to potential buyers seeing your home for sale the first time. They will already start forming opinions before even entering the home.
When it comes to selling your house, it all starts with the exterior. A property that looks like it’s been well taken care of will give buyers the impression it’s move-in ready, which can be just what’s needed to get them through the front door.
If you’ve been stuck at home, now’s a great time to take advantage and get outside to prepare for the spring sales season. Here are some simple things you can do to boost your property’s curb appeal that you can tackle in a weekend – without the help of a professional.
- Beautify the Yard: To make your property look well-looked after, weed all your beds, prune bushes and hedges, cut down loose tree limbs and plant some flowers or install inexpensive window boxes. Be sure to spread grass seed in any bare spots and mow the lawn as well.
- Clean Up: Pick up dog or children’s toys, put bikes where they belong and clean out the gutters. Wash all your windows inside and out. And it’s also a good idea to pressure wash your exterior to remove any mildew or dirt.
- Make Simple Repairs: While 48 hours isn’t long enough to undertake a big project like repainting the entire exterior of your home, you can make easy fixes like repairing broken screens, painting peeling trim or securing loose shingles.
- Do-over Your Door: If your door color is faded or boring, pick a new color that will pop and attract prospective buyers driving by. Replace outdated house numbers as well and consider adding new hardware for a quick upgrade.
- Create a Welcoming Entrance: Buy a new welcome mat for your entry and seasonal touches or potted plants to add some extra warmth. Fresh sconces on either side of the door can also make the entrance seem brighter and more welcoming.
- Extend Living Spaces Outdoors: If you have a deck or patio, add fresh throw pillows to the furniture, wash the surface and add ambiance with some lanterns. Don’t forget to group the seating and maybe add an outdoor rug to make the space even more inviting.
If you’re ready to sell, these tips can help you get your property ready in a matter of days. Ready to get started?